Confirmation, as defined by the Catechism of the Catholic Church, is "one of three Sacraments of Initiation into the Church, together with Baptism and Eucharist. Confirmation perfects Baptismal grace; it is the sacrament which gives the Holy Spirit in order to rood us more deeply in the divine filiation, incorporate us more firmly into Christ, strengthen our bond with the Church, associate us more closely with her mission, and help us bear witness to the Christian faith in words accompanied by deeds." (CCC 1316)
High School Confirmation
The high school Confirmation preparation is well-rounded and dynamic. We educate youth in Scripture, the importance of Mass and the Eucharist, prayer, and the Sacraments, as well as promote engagement in the parish community and service to the less-fortunate. Classes are set-up to engage students in spiritual experiences via small group discussions facilitated by adult and peer leaders. We invite priests, deacons, and special guests to speak to the class about relevant and current faith topics. The students learn about their faith, their relationship with God and more importantly, themselves and how they impact the lives of others. Our hope is to walk through this faith journey with the students to help transform their hearts, deepen their faith and change their life!!!
Registration for Confirmation is held from May through August 31st. Registration forms are available in the Religious Education Office, Monday through Friday 9am - 5pm (from May - September) or in the Parish Center (during business hours). Registration forms can be submitted to either office.
The process for high school confirmation is a two year process. Candidates are required to complete the following components:
1. Catechesis - Candidates meet once a week in the classroom.
2. Retreat - First year candidates will attend a one-day retreat and Second year candidates
will attend a three day retreat. Date and location to be determined for each year.
3. Parish Involvement - Youth Ministry participation is integral through out the two year
preparation (separate fees and forms for some events and activities).
4. Christian Service - Minimum of twenty hours of service need to be completed each year
of the program. Total of 40 hours.
Parents & Sponsor Involvement
Parents and Sponsors play an important role in the preparation of the candidates. Attendance is required at all parent & sponsor support classes. We partner with you to ensure you get the support and help you need on this journey.
Just as a sponsor for baptism takes it upon himself/herself the responsibility of helping the newly baptized person grow in their faith and live a Christian life by using their own life and actions, the Sponsor for Confirmation continues that work. Sponsors are important through this procedure using life examples, the active practice of a Catholic faith, prayer, and service within the church community. This is someone that the candidate can trust, since through the process of Confirmation a strong spiritual bond is created between Sponsor and Candidate. A Sponsor commitment is not just a "yes" to the candidate and their family, but when taking on this responsibility, it is a serious commitment to God. Requirements for a Sponsor are:
* Must be someone other than the parent of the Confirmation candidate.
* Must be at least 18 years of age and have received at least all three Sacraments of Initiation: Baptism, Confirmation, and Holy Eucharist.
* Must be a practicing Catholic, who regularly attends Mass on Sundays, Holy Days, and receives the Holy Eucharist.
* Must lead a life in harmony with the faith and the role to be undertaken; therefore, if together with someone, they need to be married in the Catholic Church and if single, must be striving to live a chaste life.
* Must attend the the support classes offered throughout the year.